Notifications
Clear all

Career Failure or Misguided Steps

3 Posts
2 Users
0 Likes
(@spjmayahoo-com)
Topic starter  

Hi Dave, I used to be a regular on the old site and then quit the forum. After a successful PhD with multiple high impact papers, I stumbled through 3 post-docs that were not meant for me, but managed to publish in a mid-level journal. After having failed to get into academia, or the pharmaceutical industry, I got into a CRO, which was a volatile job without security. Luckily, I got a federal position, but failed at that job and the next, and then subsequent 2 freelance writing jobs, and  now am employed as a writer and am doing well. The reason for writing is to figure out what to do with my life since it has been 13 years since my high impact papers, and I seem to be lost. I was in the news at one point to celebrate my research, and now nobody cares-my resume is rejected by industry recruiters, but job satisfaction seems to elude me. I was trained in neuroscience and neuropathology and any help on this forum will help. Thanks

Dave Jensen
(@davejensencareertrax-com)

Hello SPJMA,

Thank you for visiting, and in particular for showing up after the "old forum years." I'd love to know what your old "handle" was on that forum!

It's not all that unusual to look back on earlier positions and remember how you felt about the work and perhaps the job satisfaction you've felt. You had some high impact publications -- that felt good, I'm sure. 

Right now, you seem to be recounting only the old failures, and not any of the successes. I'm not sure that a reply to your post on the forum is going to do anything that really helps. Sounds to me like some things that should be spoken about in detail with someone more professional as a counselor. Career counselor or any kind of life counselor -- you NEED job satisfaction, it's as important as the air you breathe. If you simply go to work in the morning without a sense of excitement, you'll end up years later wondering why you didn't try to change direction earlier.

I don't know what that direction is for you, but writing (perhaps medical or scientific writing for an agency) can be good work, satisfying. You need to post more about how we can help. Tell us about what you like to do, and what there is about the job of writing (which you must clearly be good at) that brings you some joy. Identify that element and find more of it -- that's the goal.

Sorry I can't be more helpful. I hope others can chip in,

Dave

Dave Jensen, Founder and Moderator
Bio Careers Forum

ReplyQuote
(@spjmayahoo-com)
Topic starter  

Thanks Dave. Much appreciated. As usual, you always have great advice. I wish I could remember my handle in that old forum. 

I will take your advice and start working on a good follow-up and come back on the forum!

ReplyQuote
Share: